Position: Business Manager
Starting Salary: Up to $75,000 per year (Full-time)
Benefits: Annual Leave, Sick Leave, 10 Holidays, Health Insurance and Florida Retirement System, and Cell Phone Allowance. Additional Employee Paid Benefits.
The Leon County Research and Development Authority (LCRDA), a Florida special district, operates the research park Innovation Park and its affiliated non-profit Innovation Park TLH, Inc. DBA North Florida Innovation Labs (NFIL), in Tallahassee, Florida. The mission of LCRDA is to work in collaboration with local government, Florida State University, Florida A&M University, Tallahassee Community College, and community partners to foster the startup, growth and attraction of private companies that create high wage jobs in Leon County Florida, and to contribute to our region’s innovation ecosystem. NFIL was recently created to support the development and operation of a unique $24 million hard-science technology business incubator, currently under construction. A substantial portion of LCRDA revenue comes from the ownership, leasing, and management of 5 buildings in the park, as well as revenue from grants. LCRDA is governed by an 11-member Board of Governors, while NFIL is governed by a separate Board of Directors.
Position Summary: The Business Manager is responsible for the day-to-day business management and accounting for the Research Park operations and supporting the Executive Director. The individual chosen for this position must be a detail-oriented, hands-on, flexible, adaptable, self-starter with the financial, managerial, accounting, and computer skills necessary for managing and supporting the business operations of a small special district local government entity and a newly created non-profit corporation in collaboration with the Executive Director (ED), other staff, and outside vendors. This position reports to the Executive Director.
Duties and Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Financial Management:
- Budgeting: Work with outsourced property manager and staff to develop an annual budget to be approved by the board’s Budget Committee.
- Accounting and financial reporting: Oversee outsourced accounting services firm, review monthly financials, review/approve accounts payable, support other monthly and annual accounting adjustments, and submit other reports in compliance Federal, State and Local requirements. Create or adapt the processes and systems to ensure financial and regulatory compliance.
- Audit support: Reporting to board Audit Committee, and working with outsourced accounting services firm and independent auditors, support the annual audit process including preparation of GASB 68 Pension and GASB 87 Lease accounting entries, preparation of the Management Discussion and Analysis, support completion of final financial statements and notes to the financial statements. Work with independent auditor to comply with OMB Circular A-133 Single Audit requirements.
- Banking and loans: Maintain bank relationship, oversee treasury management and credit card management systems, review monthly bank reconciliations, oversee cash flow management, and ensure compliance with loan requirements.
- Investments: Prepare monthly investment summary, and work with Treasurer and Investment Advisory Committee to ensure compliance with investment policy and procedures, and funds are transferred between accounts as needed.
- Insurance: Work with Insurance Broker to annually solicit bids, review proposals, prepare applications and reporting, and ensure appropriate coverages are maintained.
- Non-profit: Ensure filing of annual 990 for NFIL, comply with other State non-profit filing and licensing requirements, support the development of new processes, policies, and procedures for the North Florida Innovation Labs.
- Grants management: Ensure that all grant requirements are met, including registrations, required documentation for receipt of grant funds, invoicing, including the current Federal Economic Development Administration grant for the construction of NFIL. Support applications for new grant funding.
- Property Management: Work with the ED to negotiate lease terms. Prepare leases/renewals for tenants. Work with Property Manager to ensure buildings, tenant spaces, and common areas are properly maintained, and the tenants are invoiced annually for common area maintenance costs.
- Procurement and contracts: Periodically procure and contract for services in compliance with board policy, and with support of the Property Manager for property related services.
- Human resources and benefits coordination: Provide onboarding support, benefits applications, coordination with Leon County government and other benefits providers, semi-monthly payroll coordination with outside service provider, and review payroll tax returns
- Information technology: Support the technology needs of the organization, directly or thru an outside vendor, in a Microsoft Office 365/Microsoft Windows environment including user changes, new PC setup, network management, domain name registrations, network printer/copier management, building access control, and basic WordPress posting.
- Board Reporting: Support ED’s information and reporting requirements for the Board of Governors.
- Other duties as assigned
Experience Requirements: Three plus (3+) years broad experience in business management and/or accounting preferred. Experience with GAAP and GASB proprietary enterprise fund accounting, and non-profit accounting helpful.
Educational Requirements: A bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting, or related field is preferred.
Other Requisite Skills and Knowledge: Successful applicants must demonstrate strong written, verbal, and presentation communication skills. Essential skills include advanced Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook skills in an Office 365 environment, and working with web-based accounting systems. Must be able to support other staff with information technology needs. Basic WordPress experience helpful.
Please email your application, resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled or withdrawn.
LCRDA is an equal opportunity employer.